Water cooled condenser and liquid chiller support

Community measureQuick HVAC App Water cooled condenser and liquid chiller support

• June 17, 2020 at 8:54 am

I discovered MQ this weekend while looking for help with evacuation problems.  I work with bulk milk coolers and glycol chillers almost exclusively.  My customers are dairy farmers.  The systems have from 1 to 12 compressors/circuits.  Many of the systems have desuperheaters for preheating domestic hot water and some have water cooled condensers.  I suspect that I will be able to use MQ pretty effectively in its current form but I would love to see the app enhanced to specifically support tank evaporators, brazed plate evaporators, falling film evaporators, and tube in tube evaporators.  Also tank desuperheaters, tube in tube desuperheaters, brazed plate condensers, and tube in tube condensers.  While I certainly understand that the HVAC market for MQ is many times larger than the process refrigeration market, in my 35 years of experience, I find technician competency with batch cooling in tank evaporators and other process cooling and heating to be worse than competency with HVAC.

June 23, 2020 at 9:45 am

I concur, same is true for Geo-thermal units as they also have a water cooled condenser.

June 24, 2020 at 9:23 am

I used MQ for the first time on a customer’s system yesterday.  It was a frustrating experience.  Now, I know MQ is designed for HVAC and I don’t do HVAC.  Some might consider my complaint unfair. I do a specialized version of refrigeration, but to see the potential and not have the app support the systems I work on is frustrating.  The primary stumbling block I ran into is the evaporator air inlet and outlet temperatures.  With a glycol chiller or water chiller, you have the glycol/water in and out temps.  With a tank evaporator you have just the temperature of the milk in the tank; there is no delta temp for the milk.